Road Tax - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Under which Section is the road tax paid?

A: As per the Section 4 of Motor Vehicle Taxation Act, 1996. Every vehicle owner has to pay road tax at the time of registration of his vehicles and thereafter as per the Rule formed there under.

Q: Where do do I have to pay the road tax ?

A: Road tax is paid at the cash counter of District Transport Office

Q: Can I pay the Road tax in break up ?

A: Yes, the road tax can be paid on half-yearly, quarterly basis.

Q: If road tax is not paid in time, how can it be paid ?

A: It can be paid with the penalty which can be upto 100% of the local tax of the road

Driving Licence - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is it compulsory to have a medical certificate for obtaining a learner's licence ?

A: Yes, a medical certificate would be required to be produced,in case of commercial vehicle licenses.

Q: Will I be asked to drive a vehicle for learner's licence?

A: No, you shall not have to undergo a driving test at this stage.

Q: How does the Learner's licence authorized me to drive ?

A: It allows you to learn driving with a regular and experienced driver of your choice. If you want to drive a motor car or a two-wheeler, this should be along with a friend, relative or an instructor of a driving school who holds a valid driving licence. If you wish to become a professional driver and drive commercial, passenger or goods vehicles, you will have to get yourself trained at a driving school duly recognized by the Transport Department.

Q: How long is a Learner's licence valid ?

A: The Learner's licence is valid up to six months. The permanent licence should be applied for, after 30 days and before 6 Months from the date of issue of the learner's licence.

Q: Is a Learner's Licence valid outside Goa ?

A: Yes, it is valid throughout India.

Q: Is the Learner's Licence renewable?

A: No, Learner's Licence is valid only for 6 month from the date of issue..

Q: Where should I learn the driving from ?

A: The driving training should be imparted by a person who possesses a permanent driving licence. If you are interested in getting yourself trained from a Motor Driving School, a list of Motor Driving Schools approved by the government could be referred to.

Q: Is it compulsory to obtain driving training from a Motor Driving School?

A: No, in case of private or non-commercial vehicles, it is not compulsory. 
However, in case of commercial vehicles, it is compulsory because the Motor Driving School has to issue Form No.5 for commercial driving licence. 

Q: What are the precautions to be taken by a learner licensee ?

A: The following points need to be kept in mind by a Learner's Licence holder :

The learner's licence holder should get training under the supervision of a Permanent driving licence holder. 
The learner licence holder has to display symbol –L in a Red colour that should be visible from a distance. 
In case of commercial vehicle, the learner licensee has to undergo training either from Government Motor Driving School or Motor Driving Schools authorized by the State Government. 
In addition to practical training, the learner's licence holder should also learn about the vehicles' mechanism, road symbols or signs etc. 
If you are learning how to drive a two-wheeler, you cannot carry any other person on the pillion except your instructor.

Q: Are there any specific rules to be observed while learning or training ?

A: Yes, there are two rules. The first is that you must paste or paint a ‘L’ sign at the back and front of your vehicle in red, on a white background and the second is that you must at all times be accompanied by a person holding a regular licence. Secondly, If you are learning how to drive a two-wheeler, you cannot carry any other person on the pillion except your instructor.

Q: How should I prepare for the driving test ?

A: Apart from the obvious driving skills, you will be tested on your ability to manoeuvre your vehicle in a crowded area. The theoretical part of the test pertains to your ability to recognize road signs, simple queries about the assemblies and about signals, sensors, and indicators of vehicle system.

Q: When will I be issued the driving licence ?

A: After successful driving test, your finger impression and photographs will be taken.Thereafter you will be issued the driving licence on the same day. A fee of ₹90/- is charged for the driving licence photo card. The application form along with other documents are retained at the zonal office.

Q: Can my instructor accompany me for the test?

A: No, an instructor cannot accompany you for your test. The test of competence to drive shall be conducted by the Inspector of the Transport Department subject to the provision of sub-section (6) of Section 9, the applicant shall furnish a serviceable vehicle of the class to which the application refers provided such vehicle is equipped with braking device which shall be easily accessible to the testing officer and present himself for the test in accordance with rule 7 (2) of the Goa Motor Vehicle Rules 1991.

Q: What happens if I fail the driving test ?

A: You may apply for a re-test after 7 days. However this period of 7 days should be utilized to upgrade your skills and to rectify your mistakes.


The applicant must check his particulars on the driving licence at the time of data entry or approval , otherwise he may have to pay extra charges for reprinting. The Transport Department does not hold any responsibility for any kind of discrepancies if reported after issuance of driving licence.

Q: Why does my record need to be verified in case of Commercial licence renewal?

A: The record of the licence which is to be renewed has to be thouroughly verified in order to ensure the authenticity. The record is also checked to see if the Driving licence was earlier issued from any other zonal office.
In case the record is not traceable but the M.L.O. feels that the licence is genuine, he may refer for a re-test.

The Training duration is of one day and ₹400/- is charged for the training.

Q: What happens if I forget to renew my licence?

A: You can renew it within 5 years from the date of its expiry. Penalty for late renewal is charged after the first 30 days of expiry. But remember that driving with an expired licence is an offence.

If an accident occurs after the expiry of your Driving Licence, the Insurance Company will not provide the compensation and you will also be at fault in the Eyes of the Law.

Q: What is the penalty in case of a delay in getting the licence renewed ?

A: ₹150/- irrespective of delay but before 5 yrs of its expiry

Vehicle Pollution - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the penalty for not having the pollution certificate?

A: A vehicle, found to be not in possession of a valid PUC Certificate is liable to be prosecuted under Section 190(2) of the Motor Vehicles Act. A penalty of ₹1000/- for first offence and ₹2000/- for every subsequent offence of violation has been provided.

Q: Where should I get my pollution level checked and adjusted?

A: Computerised facilities for checking of pollution levels and issue of PUC Certificates (to vehicles meeting emission standards) are available at many petrol pumps/workshops. These authorised Pollution Checking Centres are spread all over Goa. At present, ???? Centres for petrol driven vehicles and ????? Centres for the diesel driven vehicles are functioning. Theses centres issue Pollution Under Control Certificates (PUC) if the vehicle is found meeting prescribed emission norms. In case the vehicle is found polluting beyond prescribed norms, necessary repairs/ tuning in the vehicle would be required.

Q: What are the fees for pollution checking?

A: Following fees for pollution checking and minor rectifications have been fixed by the Government:-

Petrol / CNG / LPG vehicle ₹25/-

Diesel vehicle ₹50/-

Minor adjustment (Carbureted petrol vehicles only) ₹5/-

Q: What happens if my vehicle is found polluting although I am carrying a valid PUC certificate?

A: The PUC Certificate of your vehicle shall be cancelled and you will be directed (under Rule 116 of CMV Rules) to produce a fresh PUC Certificate within seven days. The failure to comply with this direction would result in prosecution under section 190(2) of the Motor Vehicles Act.

Q: What happens if my vehicle is not polluting but my PUC Certificate has expired or I do not have a PUC Certificate?

A: The offence of not having a PUC Certificate also attracts prosecution under section 190(2) of the Motor Vehicles Act.

Q: What should I do if I see any vehicle polluting?

A: You should report to Complaint Cell/Control Room at Tel No.????????????

Challaning of vehicle - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is Challaning of vehicle?

A: Challaning is the process of prosecution by enforcement agencies for and under Motor Vehicle Act. Challan is a document prepared by the enforcement agency for prosecution of an offence under Motor Vehicle Act.

Q: What is Impounding of vehicle?

A: Impounding of vehicle is to retain a vehicle by the enforcement agencies for an offence committed under Motor Vehicle Act. Impounded vehicle is released after the of challan.

Q: What is Compounding of challans?

A: Compounding of challans under Motor Vehicle Act mean settlement between the enforcement agencies and the offender by which challan is disposed of through depositing of notified fee by the offender.

Challan Procedure - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Under what circumstances your vehicle can be challaned ?

A: Enforcement agencies deploy its team for regulating, monitoring, enforcing the Motor Vehicle Act.

    You may be stopped by one of these teams. You may be asked to produce the following documents in original :

    i)Driving licence

    ii)Registration book of vehicle

    iii)Insurance certificate

    iv)Pollution under control certificate

    v)Permits (for commercial vehicles only)

    vi)Certificate of fitness (for commercial vehicles only)

    vii)Road Tax Receipt (for commercial vehicles only)

    viii)If you are not carrying the above mentioned documents or found violating any of the Traffic Rules/Regulations,you may be challaned.

Q: What happens when your vehicle is challaned?

    i) What happens immediately ?

A: Prosecution slip/challan will be issued to you containing the following details:

    i)Name and address of the court where the offence will be trialled.

    ii)Details of offence committed.

    iii)Date of trial

    iv)Vehicle details

    v)Name and address of offender

    vi)Name and signature of the challaning officer

    vii)Details of documents retained

    Besides this your document or your vehicle may also be impounded or both depending on gravity of voilation.

Disposal of Challan - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How can you get the challan disposed of?

A: You have two options :


    i)If you are challaned by traffic police

    The challaning officer may compound the challan at the spot itself by depositing the notified amount.

    ii) If you are challaned by Transport Department :

    Your challan will be compounded by the duty officer at Asstt. Directpor of Transport,(Enf),North, North-Panaji-Goa.

    Junta-House, Panaji-Goa.and Asstt. Director of Transport,(Enf) South-Margao-Goa.Goa Agricultural Marketing Produce Committee Bldg.,

     Arlem, Margao-Goa. , between 10.00AM to 4.00PM on any working day. (Remember only certain offences can be compounded )


    For disposal in the Court you have to appear in the court on the date and place mentioned the challan.

    You will be trialled by the court depending upon whether you plead guilty or not.

    If you plead guilty court may impose penalty on the facts and circumstances of the case.

    If you do not plead guilty you may be asked by the court to submit the ground/documents on the basis of which you do not plead guilty.

     After hearing you and the challaning officer, the court will decide the case.

Release of impounded Documents - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How will you get your impounded documents released?

A: From the court, if challan is to be disposed of in the court.

    From enforcement agency, if challan is compounded.